“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!” It’s also that time of year to dust off your cookbooks and find a favorite treat. We’ve decided to share a 50s classic that the kids (both big and small) will just love.
1/3 C. unsweetened cocoa
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
3/4 C. milk
1 t. vanilla
1/3 C. vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 C. marshmallow spread
1 C. confectioners’ sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 t. vanilla
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in bowl; set aside.
- Combine milk and vanilla in measuring cup; set aside. Beat egg and oil in bowl of electric mixer until combined.
- Add sugar to egg-oil mixture; beat until pale yellow, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour and milk mixtures alternately to egg mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Drop about 1 tablespoon of the batter onto greased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake until top springs back lightly when touched, 5-7 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, combine marshmallow spread, confectioners’ sugar, butter and vanilla in bowl of electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Spread filling between 2 cake halves to make sandwich. Tip: make the filling while the cookies are in the oven.